4.10.2006

Of The Elected, Stolen Limelights, and How I Came Undone During the Metric Encore

Big surprise at the Shaw gig last week - LA's The Elected headlined the Metric show. Like most of you who frequent the metacritics and the pitchforkers, I had completely ignored their new Sun, Sun, Sun LP because of the weak reviews. So imagine my befuddlement (as I sat in the drunkards zone sipping a Molson and contemplating the parallels between a dog collar and the drinker's band taped on my hand) when the elected ones came on and proceeded to fill the room with throwback to the 80s pop harmonies. By the time they got to Not Going Home (beautifully rendered by Nate Greely (of LA indie band Arlo?)), they had me in tears.

I have atoned for my errors - I now have the new Elected record. Do yourself a favor and get it. Then go see them live, in your town or wherever you fancy. Sing along. Dance. Cry. Hug someone. Life is short.

Btw, Metric rocked, but frankly, the audience and adoring fans did not have to be put through that godawful encore. 10 minutes of senseless guitar strumming and an uppity Emily Haines asking "what do we do now?" "what do I sing?" or some shit like that. I almost slit my wrist. Next time Emily, sing anything, Bohemian Rhapsody or Oh! Canada will do. Damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home