4.07.2006

Recalling Dreamland: How I Became An Aztec Camera Fan

1990. Lagos, Nigeria. I was spending the holidays with my uncle and his family, in Onipanu, a demi-ghetto on the mainland. My uncle's residence was a single room on the top floor of a dilapidated 2-storey building occupied by all manner of folk, from the big-bosomed woman who sells rare snakes for food to the cantankerous little man who no one knew his trade or passion. It was in this rugged circumstance that I discovered Dreamland, a cd my uncle bought off a street market because he was puzzled by the name Aztec Camera. Now years later, in the swanky confines of my Edmonton home, I pay homage to the one piece of property I have had since 1990, the only cd that came with me to North America. Ladies and gents, allow me to introduce Aztec Camera and Dreamland. For those of you who do not know, Aztec Camera is really Roddy Frame, a wonderful musician by all accounts. If you do not believe me, try out these songs from Dreamland.

Sister Ann
Black Lucia (recommended)
Let Your Love Decide

3 Comments:

Blogger Rah said...

Thanks for the recommendation! The first Aztec Camera I owned was "Love", because I go for the 80's synth-pop, but "Stray" is my favorite -- among my favorite albums ever. I've bought it 3 times. Anyway I picked up a cassette of "Dreamland" years ago, listened to it once, paid little attention, & promptly lost it. So now I'll be looking!

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb (as was hist last solo album "Surf"). Touring the UK soon with a new album due.

10:03 AM  
Blogger The Daily Growl said...

Yay! This is great. I got into Roddy Frame through the totally ace Surf, but since checked out a few of the Aztec Stuff. He's the king of the soaring pop tune. Can't wait to see him play in June...

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home