4.16.2006

U.N.P.O.C.: Fifth Column

I finally got around to listening to Fifth Column, the near genius masterpiece from U.N.P.O.C., in its entirety. For those of us who do not know, U.N.P.O.C. is Tom Bauchop, a Scottish musician who plays occassionally with the Fife-based Fence Collective. I was first drawn to this album after hearing a song off the album titled "Come In" on some shoutcast indie pop station (last year, can't remember which one). I recall the broadcast did not indicate the band or artist behind the song, so for days on end I besieged google with all sorts of search requests involving parts of the lyrics I heard, and "Beach Boys rare songs". Finally, I discovered the song on the U.N.P.O.C. album, bought it forthwith, gave the first few tracks a spin, liked what I heard and put it in the backburner for a more relaxed listen.

Fifth Column would fit well in the Pet Sounds era, but what it more impressive is that this is the effort of one man juggling sounds, rattles and harmonies in perfect lo-fi pop goodness. Very highly recommended. Here are two tracks if you need convincing.

Here On My Own
Come In

Buy Fifth Column here or here or here. A bit pricey but worth it my friends.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pierre,
Thanks for the kind words about Fifth Column. A "near genius masterpiece" indeed! I see you list some of the places it's available from. People can get it direct from the horse's mouth at www.unpoc.com too. And it's on iTunes now, although for some reason iTunes thinks Come In is better called Come In to Darkness.
Anyway, yes, thanks for the article.
Tom / unpoc

8:06 PM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Wow, I am humbled that you'll stop by my lowly blog! Fifth Column is truly great work-one of the best albums I've heard in years. More importantly, thanks for your implied recognition of the place of mp3 blogging, specifically the fact that we don't put music up for the sake of robbing the artist of gain, but simply to highlight music we love and direct others to it. Cheers.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home