5.14.2006

Noteworthy New Find: Keegan DeWitt, "& The Sparrows"

Hot on my digital spinner right now is the new "yet to be released" record from Brooklyn singer-songwriter, Keegan DeWitt and his band, The Sparrows (Nick Forde - Bass, Nick Jaeger - Guitar, Skip Matheny - Guitar, Backing Vocals, Timshel Matheny - Piano, Organs, Vocals, Logan Matheny - Drums, Guitar, Lap Steel, Mandolin, Keegan plays guitars and piano and is responsible for lead vocals). Influences include Whiskeytown (yeah!) and Wilco (oh yeah!). Word from Keegan is that the album (titled & The Sparrows) was recorded with Roman Candle (V2 Records) and Chris Stamey (produced Whiskeytown, REM, Yo La Tengo). Keegan also just finished playing 3 sold out shows in Chapel Hill, NC celebrating the finish of the record.

Musically (I probably say this word a lot, right?), the album oscillates between slow to mid-tempo folk rock pieces, with a little hint of country. I swear if you listen closely, you could hear sweet hints of The Shins and Dylan in Keegan's renditions, especially on tracks like "Please Tell The One I Love", and "Make Me A Bed" respectively. "More of You" is another pleaser, with clean guitar tones, strong vocals, and some rousing "too-roo-roop-too" backing vocals. Very recommended folks.


If you are in the Big Apple on the 29th, go see Keegan and the Sparrows at Sin-e. You might just have enough fun to make you happy. Here are some tracks from the new record.

Bed of Mercy
More of You
So High So Low
Come on Bryd
Christmas Light

Visit Keegan's website to stream the entire album. Also check out the band's myspace for more info.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great stuff. How did you find out about this guy?

10:01 AM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Basically, he emailed me introducing himself. I get a lot of emails from indie bands and I try to check them out, but I usually don't post about it unless I really like.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Duke of Straw said...

Nice post here. I was planning on putting the five songs up on my blog but you beat me to the punch. They emailed me too. Best "inbox" band I have gotten yet.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home