6.16.2006

Cuff the Duke: In Session at CBC Studio 2, Vancouver, 03 Apr 2006.

With every release, Oshawa boys Cuff the Duke seem to be edging closer to their very own Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain or The Moon and Antartica i.e. the one really really good album that is the epitome of time spent hammering away at sounds, words, and the prospects of stardom. Their 2005 eponymous album takes their alt-country groove into indie rock territory, the instrumentation is energetic and fresh, the sounds are more fleshed out and consistent, and there is nothing ordinary about it all. Vocalist Wayne Petti is brilliant, and on songs like "The Difference Between Us", his deep throaty voice can be arresting, inspiring. I suspect they might hit perfect pitch on the next one or two releases, and I'll surely be there to say I told you so. Meanwhile, enjoy this studio session set, and be sure to check them out.

Belgium or Peru
The Difference Between Us
Meet You On the Other Side
No Sleep, No Heat
The Ballad of Poor John Henry
Black Heart

Buy Cuff the Duke here or here.

Many thanks to all of you who have played the "guess the blog name" game so far-you guys rock! It's glorious considering I am not so sure I know what the name means myself, although there is a story behind it. But I have learnt so much about the name from your responses and you guys are really funny. I have decided to feature your suggestions on the blog title, one at a time, each for a one week period. Keep it coming!

Upcoming weekend posts: Some live Built to Spill, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, and the Sunn O))) Peel Sessions.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this! it made my day! :)

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home