6.27.2006

Gnarly 80's Movie Mix

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I may as well come right out and say it: I ADORE the 80's. I know, it was the decade of excess, keytars, and WHAM! but I can't help but profess love for the pure cheese factor of it all. After watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the 50th time, I came up with a great concept for a mix: A "Gnarly 80's Movie Mix." The 80's produced some of the most campy and fun music soundtracks. I know that 80's movie mixes are a dime a dozen with the usual "Ghostbusters Theme Song" and "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds. So I decided to use the lesser known tracks that will still sound incredibly familar to you once you give them a listen. I put some really great tracks musically on there (the ultra rare, "March of the Swivelheads" by the incredible ska band, The English Beat). I also wasn't afraid to let out the inner dork in me by putting on a song from The Cherry Bombs off the Howard the Duck soundtrack. Who knows, after listening to this mix you may want to pull those leg warmers out of your closet and start wearing your "Choose Life" t-shirts again. I certainly hope so, cause I'd hate to be the only one.

Trivia: Did you know Tori Amos was up for the role Lea Thompson eventually got in the career destroyingly bad 80's flick, Howard the Duck?

Revenge of the Nerds by The Rubinoos (Revenge of the Nerds)
March of the Swivelheads by The English Beat (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
Desire by Gang of Four (The Karate Kid)
Hairspray by Rachel Sweet(Hairspray)
Cool Rider by Michelle Pfeiffer (Grease 2)
On the Dark Side by Eddie and the Cruisers (Eddie and the Cruisers)
If You Were Here by Thompson Twins (Sixteen Candles)
Never Ending Story by Limahl (The Never Ending Story)
Weird Science by Oingo Boingo (Weird Science)
Cry Little Sister by Gerard McMann (The Lost Boys)
A Storybook Love by Willie Deville (The Princess Bride)
Love My Way by Psychedelic Furs (Valley Girl)
Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmen (Dirty Dancing)
Maniac by Michael Sembello (Flashdance)
The Goonies R Good Enough by Cyndi Lauper (The Goonies)
Suddenly Seymour by Rick Moranis and Ellen Green (Little Shop of Horrors)
Hunger City by The Cherry Bombs (Howard the Duck)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Blog and AWESOME 80s mix. Did you know your Goonies song links to the sesame street song?

11:09 PM  
Blogger Lucas "Kip" Owen said...

Good idea with classic movie songs. I know that there are probably a ton that we can all think of to add to a mix like this but one that came to mind that would be great is Neutron Dance by the pointer sisters (Beverly Hills Cop opening scene with the cigarrette truck).

2:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Great mix! And nobody should be ashamed of loving the 80ies... they weren't as bad as they always say! ;)

Did a post on my blog about Movie Songs recently you might want to check out:

http://res1999.blogspot.com/2006/05/best-of-movie-songs.html

it's about those movie songs that make the movie itself unforgettable and that will always be connected with the scene they're playing in. An idea for your next mix?

Chris

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh Kristy... I tried to find/buy the book of The Never Ending Story yesterday but the crappy bookstore didn't have it. Man I love the themesong - we used to have to sing it at school! That movie NEVER gets old. It's up there with Labyrinth (lol speaking of which - where is Magic Dance?) ;)

And I really feel like watching Dirty Dancing now.

12:10 AM  
Blogger neonspecs said...

oh man. eddie and the cruisers! give me more!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home