6.17.2006

Hello there! You all rock!

Hello to everyone reading this fantastic little piece of music blog heaven. None of you have any idea of who I am, so don't feel out of the loop. My name is Kristy Parker and I've secretly been downloading Pierre's generous live sets and rarities for the past week or so. When he suggested opening this blog up to another voice, I decided to jump at the chance. You see, I've been running a little underground music blog for the past four years called Vintage Rock. You've never heard of it? Well that could be because we only have a small cult like following. I take the time to write researched, thought out posts that nobody ever responds to. I'm getting a bit fed up with that, so I thought, why not expand my horizons and get my writing out in a different format! I'm new to the blogger system since I use blogdrive, but I can learn pretty quickly.

I'm not as high tech as Pierre when it comes to music files and all that, but I do know good music when I hear it. I listen to anything from John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" to Joy Division's "Dead Souls on any given day. I delight in finding that rare band that nobody seems to appreciate, and then getting people turned on to their tunes. Nothing is really more rewarding to me than knowing that I help expand people's musical horizons.

I think Pierre will be focusing more on rarities and live tracks, while I will be focusing more on the alternative music scene and album reviews. I also like coming up with creative mix tape ideas, so I might download some pre-made mixes for you featuring songs you mostly likely haven't heard. Trust me, I won't post any top 40 bull-crap on here...its pretty much my mission in life to draw people away from the radios altogether, unless you're listening to an underground college radio dj god. Hey, I DJ at my college...hoping in vain that someone's listening through the murky airwaves. One of the biggest thrills of my life, sad as it is, is when someone called me and thanked me for playing a Pixies tune.

Anyway here's some basic information about me if you're curious at all who's been rambling the last few paragraphs:

Name: Kristy Parker
Age: 20
Current Location: Waterloo, Iowa

Qualifications: Music journalist, College DJ, extensive music collector, self taught music historian, guitarist, pianist, and vocalist

Album I'm listening to: Ferment by Catherine Wheel
Best Concert I've Been to: Bob Dylan's ball-park tour with Willie Nelson
Favorite music genres: 60's soul, 70's punk, post punk, alternative, sing-songwriters

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading your post from Waterloo, Belgium!

just thought I'd mention it...

(Oh, and today is the reenactment of the waterloo battle so I can hear fake muskets firing from my house... anyways, funny coincidence)

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, this great . . . good luck to both of you!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Thanks Jennings!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck, and if you haven't, check out wfmu.org for underground post college radio. Totally listener supported, the station bought the liscence before Upsalla College folded. I've been listening for 26 years and the stuff the DJ's come up with is mindbending....Their Blog is a thing of Beauty. Dave K.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home