6.18.2006

Live Built to Spill, And The Best Radiohead Covers & Collaborations I Ever Heard!!

You folks already met Kristy by now, so she needs no further introduction from me. Nice to have a fresh new voice to talk about this and that. Talking about this and that, here's a cracker of a post-a bloody double-header. First up, classic Built to Spill, as Doug Martsch leads the boys out of the dugout on March 13th, 1999 for this live set over at the Crystal Ballroom, Portland, OR. Call it the Perfect From Now On and Keep It Like A Secret tour. And if you know your Built to Spill, you know these albums were the peak. Oh, those guitar hooks on "Else"! And when the guitars come crashing in on "Randy Described Eternity"!

The Plan
Center of the Universe
Twin Falls
Kicked It In the Sun
Bad Light
Time Trap
Else
Sidewalk
Randy Described Eternity
Temporarily Blind
Stop the Show
You Were Right
I Would Hurt a Fly
Carry the Zero
Broken Chairs

And to get our collective pulse racing, here's the best compilation of "Radiohead sings the songs of others" I ever heard. Hell yeah!! I sure hope this blog is not becoming a Radiohead mecca, cos we're definitely not about the one band. But this is good stuff, and has to be shared.

Cowboy Song (w/Blur)
After the Gold Rush (Neil Young original)
Shot by Both Sides (Magazine original)
Union City Blues (Blondie original)
Nobody Does it Better (Carly Simon original)
Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young original)
Rhinestone Cowboy (Glen Campbell original)
Be Mine (R.E.M.
original)
It's the End of the World as we Know It (R.E.M.
original)
Sing a Song for You (Tim Buckley
original)
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Manic Street Preachers
original)
I'll Wear it Proudly (Elvis Costello
original)
The Thief (Can
original)
I'm Set Free (Velvet Underground
original, covered w/Beck)
Wonderwall (Oasis
original)
Wish Your We're Here (Pink Floyd
original, covered w/Sparklehorse)
Rabbit in Your Headlights (w/UNKLE)
I've Seen it All (w/Bjork)
Winter Wonderland (Felix Bernard/Dick Smith)
Where Will You Be This Christmas (w/The Spunkle All-Stars)

That's it. I'm gone to Church, to seek absolution for yesterday. Here We Go Oilers!! Here We Go!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger coxon le woof said...

Oooh with this Radiohead, you really spoil us.

Thank you.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Moka said...

now I'm the one throwing a contest pierre, you don't have any intention on clearing the kwaya na kisser huh? :)

http://mookamotel.blogspot.com/2006/06/bedroom-rockers-contest.html

4:44 PM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Not sure I even know what it means, but I do intend to tell the story behind the name. I was hoping one of you geniuses could figure out a meaning that matches the story. Checking out you contest right now and thanks for stopping by.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel like I've hit the Radiohead jackpot!
Thanks :)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This list forgot to include "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2. I don't know when or where it happened, but I found with a you-know-what kind of program.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Radiohead def. isn't on Cowboy song, FYI.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry naysayers, "Rhinestone Cowboy" was indeed performed by Radiohead - I've got the bootlegged video of the performance. However, the "Sunday Bloody Sunday" cover mentioned above was, in fact, performed by U2 and not Radiohead. I was fooled by that one, too.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home