6.11.2006

A Mighty Fine Post On Roddy Frame: Live at Darwin Suite, Assembly Rooms, Derby, 15 May 2006.

First time I did a Roddy Frame a.k.a. Aztec Camera post (see olde related postes below), I was pleasantly surprised by the comments it attracted, largely because I thought Roddy was the greatest living indie secret the world was yet to know or would never know. Now that I know better, I guess its proper to state that this guy is arguably one of if not the finest singer-songwriters alive today, annd definitely the best Scot of that ilk still around. Roddy just put out a new cd titled Western Skies which I hear is essential listening. I'll probably feature some songs on this 'ere blog when my cd arrives from the market (mp3s just won't cut it this time).

The following is a wonderful set at the Assembly Rooms in Derby on his recently completed UK tour. My lord, twenty songs! Two encores. Classic Aztec Camera and new songs from Western Skies. The stuff that a fan's dreams are made off. It appears Roddy enjoyed playing this gig a lot as he writes on his website, "Derby was a very 'musical' gig for me. I've never been more in the moment or into the songs. Thank you."

No, thank you.

The Sea Is Wide
Small World
Black Lucia
Dry Land
You're Smile Has Stopped The Hands Of Time
Crossing Newbury Street
Stray
Bigger Brighter Better
Over You
Rock God
Western Skies
Worlds In Worlds
Sun
Down The Dip
The Birth Of The True

Encore 1

How Men Are
Hymn To Grace
Reason For Living

Encore 2

Killermont Street
Somewhere In My Heart

Buy Western Skies.

Olde Related Postes:

Recalling Dreamland: How I Became An Aztec Camera Fan
More Aztec Camera

Read these other fascinating write-ups on Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera.

Same Dream; Same Destination has some thoughts on the new album and how it compares to Surf.
The Torments of Steven Saville (cool ass name) reflects on his relationship with Roddy Frame in a really cool piece (kill me if I say cool again in this post). Worth the read. It's amazing how this guy's music invokes all those neat memories of yesteryears.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a wonderful post!

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't hear any sound...the volume is too low. please do something about it and repost it.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Take it that I am doing your ears a favor. Seriously, the files sound ok, you may need to buy new speakers for your pc (and I hope you do have an extra set of speakers), or get better earphones (any sennheiser will do) for your ipod or other mp3 player.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHEDYED SAID
THANKS I WAS THERE THAT NITE IT WAS REALLY A GREAT GIG I WAS THE BLOKE WHO SHOUT 4 HOW MEN ARE AND HE SAID HE PLAY IT AS LONG AS WE SANG ALONG WHICH MADE MY NITE

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the files?
cant open them

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home