6.19.2006

Unrequited Love Mix

I feel like an old soul even though I'm not quite able to legally order vodka-crans at bars yet (I'll be 21 in November). At the age of 20, it seems pretty sad that I've dealt so many unrequited love scenarios; I hope I'm not disillusioned by the time I'm 40 years old. I have no desire to be a crazy cat lady and start calling a little gray tabby cat my "little man." So I suppose rather than give up and sit around eating Lays potato chips and watching Sleepless in Seattle, I'd rather make a mix tape to cope with my feelings. I'm sure many of you out there have been twarted by the arrows of Cupid...so I decided to make a lil' mix with the subject of being unlucky in love underyling all the tunes. I pride myself on my mix tape making abilities, so I hope my song choices stand up to this audiences refined musical palette.

How Am I Different by Aimee Mann
Tunnel of Love by Dire Straits
Lonely by Tom Waits
Solitude by Billie Holiday
Maybe After He's Gone by The Zombies
Smokin' 100's Alone by The Bottle Rockets
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood by Nina Simone
These Days by Nico
If I Were by Vashti Bunyan
Why I Stay by The Black Heart Procession
Nothing Came Out by The Moldy Peaches
Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen
Pictures of You by The Cure
To Bring You My Love by PJ Harvey
Why I Cry by The Magnetic Fields

Visit Kristy other blog, Vintage Rock.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Still In Love Song" by The Stills

1:56 PM  
Blogger Figgsrock2 said...

I am almost 40 years old, and being disillusioned because of unrequited love just comes with the territory. (Ha ha.)

Anyways, just discovered your blog through Hype Machine, and you've got some great stuff here. This unrequited love mix is outstanding. Hope the unrequited love becomes requited at some point.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Jason Kenney said...

GREAT post. Thanks!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been missing "These Days" since my computer crashed. Thank you!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Rah said...

I feel for you, and I have the Lloyd Cole albums to prove it. Since I'm more than a decade away from where you are now, you can just pretend I said all the "older & wiser" stuff you've probably heard already. But yes, Dr. Time will work wonders. Just don't let The One That Got Away become so perfect in hindsight that ordinary humans can't compare!

And when the blues start slipping away (because they do), remember the wisdom of Rickie Lee Jones (an old flame of Tom Waits), who said: "Happy songs don't make sad people happy. Sad songs make sad people happy."

5:13 PM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Helluva post Kristy. Takes me back to first year of university, and all the things that could have been.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Queen of Light and Joy said...

Hows about "I want a little sugar in my bowl": Nina (oh how I love you)Simone?

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One comment - I'd limit a mix to 10 songs. Also, are you ordering them in listening order (if that matters)?

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

as i sit here in the hospital room holding my 1 day old daughter while my wife sleeps I can tell you that i now reflect on MY early relationships and all the times i wondered why why why...then i met my (now) wife. you just know sometimes. be brave. live. laugh. love.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh...btw, sweet mix

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list. a couple more good ones are Interpol-"C'mere" and Damien Rice-"The Blower's Daughter"

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home