6.30.2006

Wilco: Live, Petrillo Music Shell, Grant Park, Chicago, IL. 4th of July, 2001.

Saw Wilco live for the first time ever yesterday at the Jub, thus striking one off my list of gigs to see before I die. It was everything I expected it to be, and I have to say it is by far one of the finest performances I have ever seen in my life. Tweedy played with a cast on his leg, which he explained was not a fashion statement, but evidence that he actually had a broken leg. Didn't say how he broke his leg, but he expressed his regrets at not being able to jiggle his bottoms for our entertainment. Wilco was amazing life, and the jam sessions on some of the songs (especially the new ones, about 4 of them of the setlist) drove shivers done my spine. I have to say that Nels Cline is a genius-it was glorious to witness him produce pure musical delight from his jazzmaster. And that Glenn Kotche!

Here's an amateurish video shot by me during the rendition of "At Least That's What You Said". It's pretty noisy, since this was shot with my digicam, but good enough to make out the band and a good part of the song.



I will have the entire set up on this blog sometime in the future, but for now, enjoy this set performed at a free 4th of July gig in 2001. This was Jay Bennett's last gig with the band.

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
War on War
Shot in the Arm
She's a Jar
I'm Always in Love
Airline to Heaven
Feed of Man
Remember the Mountain Bed
California Stars
Kamera
Ashes of American Flags
Red-Eyed and Blue
I Got You (At the End of the Century)

(encore)

I'm the Man Who Loves You
Sunken Treasure
Outta Mind (Outta Site)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haven't been able to d/l from your site for the past two hours :(

4:47 PM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Ezarchive is down-wait a bit and try again.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the great music!

I made a cover for this that I thought more appropriate than the one included with the MP3. You can find it here if you're interested: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6614/wilcograntpark5kr.jpg

8:22 PM  
Blogger totempolezoe said...

Excellent! Thank you for this post. I am glad you were able to finally see these guys in concert. They are awsome! Jeff Tweedy is the MAN.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the show, I just saw them in Toronto last night for the third time and I hope to see them again soon.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to be a complainer, but I can't download anything, and I don't think ezarchive is down because I dl'd from there earlier tonight.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home