7.11.2006

From My Inbox: The Chocolate Swim EP, CWL Remix Sebadoh.

Aside from the usual organ enlargement solicitations that arrive in my inbox with annoying regularity, here's some other interesting thisandthats from the last time I checked (Note: the following do not represent my views, except where expressly stated - I usually just cut and paste the emails directly when I do these "From My Inbox" features. Obviously.)

1. Cassettes Won't Listen Do Sebadoh

The Freed Pig (Sebadoh cover)

New York, NY - Cassettes Won't Listen has been hard at work, to say the least, in the studio and brings us a brand new cover celebrating the re-release of Sebadoh III, out July 11th on Domino Records. The cover is for the lead track "The Freed Pig". After fans and critics embraced what they believed to be a full band, Casettes Won't Listen has now been revealed as the singular workings of producer and multi-instrumentalist Jason Drake. Not only did he write, produce, and record his Nobody's Moving EP under the name of four different "band members", he has also secured his spot in the world of remixing, working with such artists as Morcheeba, Midlake, and Dr. Octagon. Future remixes will include Asobi Sesku, Honeycut (Quannum Records), The Diggs, and yet another remix for Midlake.

"Sebadoh has always been an influence on me", Drake says. Sebadoh III, Bakesale, Harmacy, etc., have always been in my collection and are a part of the few albums I classify as timeless. It was very exciting to hear Domino was re-releasing III. I felt it was the perfect time to cover one of their tracks. Those who were not exposed to, or to young for, the band may finally get a chance to hear what they've been missing."

CWL recently headlined Pianos NYC on Thursday June 29th and will be playing Sin-e NYC on August 23rd.

For more information, check: CWL myspace.

*My take*
Apparently this guy has done some other interesting covers, including Pavement's Cut Your Hair (download). Nice. For others, check out this page.

2. Chocolate Swim EP

Pierre Elliott Trudeau,

Mike from Cornerstone Promotion here. I saw your blog and am spreading the word on some things. From reading your blog it seems that you, like me, have particular tastes when it comes to Hip Hop music.

In any case, I thought you might like to know.....

Adult Swim and Chocolate Industries have gotten together and produced Chocolate Swim, an EP which is available for FREE! That's right, it is 100% free and features solid music from Kovas, Lady Sov, Ghislain Poirier, Mos Def & Diverse, and Vast Aire (ft. MF Doom).

Here's the link.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Also, feel free to spread the word and let your readers know. See below for more info and/or feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Mike

*My take*
Amen to you, Mike. And to the rest of you, I say go for it. For those who hesitate, I'll have you know that all the musicians on this EP are solid testimonials of what makes the indie hip-hop underground a million times better than mainstream hip-hop. Our very own Ghislain Poirier is of course one of Canada's hottest exports, and the badass Edan holds the remix fort on the Vast Aire/MF Doom track. And the multi-talented Mos Def, matched here fire for fire by Diverse, all set to some Arabian Nights flavored chant. Amen indeed. This is best FREEBIE I have acquired this year!

Browse through the Adult Swim site, lots of good stuff. If you don't like browsing, just grab the EP tracks below. Remember to buy an album if you love a song.

Up In Here Kovas
Hoodie (Spank Rock Remix) Lady Sovereign
Mic Diplomat Ghislain Poirier feat. DJ Collage
Wylin Out (Kut Masta Kurt Remix) Mos Def & Diverse
Ain't Right (DJ Mitsu Remix) Diverse
Super Friendz (Edan Remix) Vast Aire feat. MF Doom

3 Comments:

Blogger red one said...

thanx for posting the tracks separately cos for some reason I couldn't unzip the EP.

red

6:21 AM  
Blogger red one said...

I've had a listen now - that sounds a bit more Bollywood than Arabian Nights on Wylin out....

7:02 AM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Tomato...Tomato

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home