7.11.2006

Have Love Will Travel Mix

Sorry I've been gone for so long. I've just been bogged down with my waitressing shifts lately. Perkins has me rotating between dinner and bar shifts, so when I am awake I'm kind of groggy. But anyway, this is the first day of my three day hiatus... so here's a new mix for all of you patient readers who have supported my last few entries. I'm going to make it a habit of taking on any mix challenges I get from you readers, so keep giving more ideas. I'd be more than happy to accept your challenge; I throughly enjoying brainstorming ideas for mixes.

This idea comes from a suggestion I recieved; songs made for traveling and roadtrips. Its summer, and if time and money weren't an issue I'd love to traverse the nation. I would hitch-hike like the hippies did, but its not the peace and love generation anymore, is it. Too many chances some psycho would pick me up and I'd be hacked into pieces in some ditch. I apologize for the graphic visual there, but this world we live in makes one cynical sometimes.

I make this list for those of you lucky enough to "head out on the highway and get your motor running." All of the songs I chose have traveling as a theme. I tried to keep a good balance between tried and true favorites (you have to have songs to belt along to) and a few lesser known tracks ("1000 Miles" by the Hoodoo Gurus). I chose to end with Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Comin' Home" as a reminder that no matter how far you travel, your home will always call out to you. Yes, I even miss my boring state of Iowa whenI leave if you can believe it.


Bonus Video: "Have Love Will Travel" covered by The Black Keys

Have Love Will Travel by The Sonics
Chicago by Sufjan Stevens
Country Road by James Taylor
1000 Miles Away by Hoodoo Gurus
On the Road Again by Canned Heat
Route 66 (Get Your Kicks On) by The Cramps
500 Miles by Peter, Paul, and Mary
Train Whistle Blues by Jimmy Rodgers
Roadhouse Blues by The Doors
The Passenger by Iggy Pop
I'm Bound to Pack It Up by The White Stripes
Leaving On a Jet Plane by John Denver
Ramble On by Led Zeppelin
Comin' Home by Lynyrd Skynyrd

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that NeoCOUNTER on the left side- really cool.
great mix, great blog, as always actually.

good bye and Farewell
asaf, from israel

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had had this two weeks ago when I set out from DSM to NJ by way on INDY. The trip's not so bad until you hit the PA Turnpike - they're not kidding. I was so happy on Sunday to finally hit the check-out lanes of I-80. I'll save this for my trip to Memphis in Sept. I think it's going to be a Mike Watt sort of roadtrip (he says you need a LOT of music.)

12:30 PM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

How about a kickass wedding reception mix? I got readers to suggest songs for my upcoming wedding (see archives) but it'll be nice to get your magic touch on this.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

I would add "Plastic Jesus" by the Flaming Lips. Gotta have that on your dashboard when taking a long journey!

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have any of you heard these versions of Leavin' on a Jet Plane?

Leavin' on a Jet Plane
Dr. BLT
original by John Denver
http://www.drblt.net/music/jetp.mp3

Leavin' on a Jet Plane
Dr. BLT/Peach Boys Mix
http://www.drblt.net/music/leavingpeach.mp3

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home