7.28.2006

Miscellaneous BBC Session Tracks, And My Contribution To The Ongoing Hobo Drawing Exercise.

Something for everyone this beautiful Friday morning.

And by way of part self-aggrandizement and part awe, what follows is the text of my contribution on learning via J.K. Hodgman's blog, the aptly titled "Good Evening", about an ongoing project focused on drawing 700 hoboes, an idea that began after the said Mr. Hodgman undertook to compile and read 700 hobo names. The said hobo post has produced a number of insightful comments and debates such as whether the plural of hobo is hobi or hoboes, and the distinction between hoboes and cats. I suggest you harry over and read, discuss, ululate. I mention this here because I have now commenced a project to compile and post the perfect HOBO ART EXHIBITION SOUNDTRACK. Wikipedia has a list of hobo songs, of course, but I believe I can capture the mood of an art exhibit without overly relying on songs by fammous hoboes or song names with the word hobo. Remember, it's all about atmosphere. Leave a comment if you have a suggestion on what song(s) should make this list.

Sort Of Is A Country In Love (Peel Session) 90 Day Men
Teenage Kicks (Peel Session) Ash
New England '96 (Peel Session) Billy Bragg
Where Is John (Peel Session) Blonde Redhead
Geheim (BBC Session) Can
C'mon In My Kitchen (Peel Session) Cat Power
Wonderwall (Peel Session) Cat Power
Rebed Yell (BBC Rock Show Session) Dilinger Escape Plan
Like A Rainbow (Peel Session) Fuck
Hey Joe (BBC Session) Jimi Hendrix
Hound Dog (BBC Session) Jimi Hendrix
Chocky (Wingding Session) Mogwai
Like Herod (The Extra Mile) (Wingding Session) Mogwai
Polly (BBC Rock Show Session) Nirvana
Because The Night (BBC Session) Patti Smith
Gloria (BBC Session) Patti Smith
My Beautiful Leah (Wingding Session) PJ Harvey
All I Want (BBC Session) Skunk Anansie
Corporate Ghost; Rubens Beard (BBC Session) Sonic Youth
Major Label Chicken Feed (BBC Session) Sonic Youth
Autumn Sweater (Wingding Session) Yo La Tengo
I Heard You Looking (Wingding Session) Yo La Tengo
It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry (Wingding Session) Yo La Tengo
Shadows (Wingding Session) Yo La Tengo

The Hodgman Comments
"One has to wonder at the precise moment in history hoboship (dare I qualify it this way?) became a central vestige of modern civilization. Certainly, some disdain has to be attributed to my elementary school teacher who encouraged the rote learning of this sentence: "As I was descending from a high decivility, I suddenly lost my centre of gravity, and was precipitated into a state of machamadised thoroughfare." Or unfortunately still: "The architectural monopoly of the Italian Peninsula was not achieved in one rotation of the earth." Such is the penmanship and eloquence of hobo scholars. I say carry on hobodrawers, we must consume this plague, take the fowls, intricate them, in the hope that when the sun sets, we shall be rewarded for our amiable hospitality.

...and just so you know (or, least I forget), nigerian hoboes are probably mentally unstable. I happen to have personal experience of this, but I still wonder if Mr. Hodg-man's world view would offer a more informed reading of the facts? In fact, legend has it that the key to riches lies in coitus with a female hobo, complete with raggedy clothing and rastafarian locks. Please leave comments if you have been so opportuned to fortune as I will return here to digest that piece of information, with much glee. Of course, the theory of hobo-coitus-riches has not been tested elsewhere, I inform by way of caveat.

Good evening.

Forgive my persistence with this topic, but here's an age old question. In my last comment, I clearly referred to female hoboship. Is this phenomenum possible?"

- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great selection. I think, though, that you've posted the ordinary Horses version of Patti Smith's 'Gloria'.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good !
you can also listen a cover version of 'Them Changes' by Buddy Miles here played the same year by Ramsey Lewis.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Fixed it! Thanks.

5:15 PM  
Blogger heather said...

Skunkanansie had a hit when I was studying overseas in 1999 (Follow You Down) and I had never heard of them before or since, being a sheltered-at-the-time American college student. :) Thanks for the song.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NIRVANA fanzines should check out http://vile-donations.blogspot.com
THese guys rock!!!!!!!!!!

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home