8.07.2006

Punks with Vaginas Mix

Video Link: He's My Thing by Babes in Toyland

The title of this mix isn't really meant to offend...maybe just catch your attention...and put the focus on my personal rock icons and role models that inspire me everytime I start screaming in my car about what's his name and who the hell does she think she is.

Growing up, I'm sure every hopeless male guitar fanatic had posters of Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, and for the nerdy lil' hipster you had your Thurston Moore arty black and white shot hanging in some unexpected place like the ceiling of your bathroom. (Hey arty kids ARE weird, and I should know since I'm one of them.) But where were the sonic rock n' role models to relieve the feminine angst that ruled my adolescence? Sorry, but as much as I love the cock rock of AC/DC I need the female equlivalent of "Big Balls." Girls get just as worked up and frustrated as men, maybe more so although I couldn't say seeing as I've never had a penis.

This mix is in an andidote that will relieve your over-dosage of Y chromosome in your music collection. While most of the artists I feature in this mix could be classified in the "Riot Grrrl" catagory, I want you all to know that this will not be called a "Riot Grrrl" mix. While I love Kathleen Hannah's yowling feminist spasms (she's on here twice, once in Bikini Kill, the other in Le Tigre) I think that label narrows out many good musicians I want to include in this mix; female artists that emerged before the "Riot Grrls" became media darlings and imploded in on themselves (example: Romeo Void, The Slits, and Delta 5). All songs here deal with the struggles of what it means to be female and how one can be liberated and dragged down by gender stereotypes. Also, I made this mix to prove that women can rock just as hard if not harder than their male counterparts. I'm all for equality men, but what better anguish for a punk song could you have than PMS and sexism? I know things have come a long way, but not long enough when just the other day I got sexually harrased at work for being a cute redhead.

So no, don't box in this artists with the label riot grrrl...just know that these are strong feminine forces to be reckoned with, not simpering sexpots playing the subserviant role to the typical male dominant.

One More Thing L7
Typical Girls The Slits
Never Say Never Romeo Void
I Live In a Town Where Boys Amputate Bratmobile
Deceptacon Le Tigre
Sweet 69 Babes In Toyland
Screwing Your Courage Team Dresch
Strawberry Milk Free Kitten
Too Many Creeps Bush Tetras
Don't Be Mean The Raincoats
Waitress Hell Heaven's to Betsy
The Scratch Seven Year Bitch
Sugar Bikini Kill
I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone Sleater Kinney
Oh! Bondage Up Yours! X-Ray Spex
Open Life Delta 5

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a problem with the Delta 5 link.

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for this mix :) there is indeed a problem with some of the links though.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Esquirrel, yo! said...

Link's fixed...great mix, Kristy.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. Are any of these bands still together? With the loss of Le Tigre & Sleater-Kinney, I've been wondering what's left of women punk/rock music.

BTW -- this Babes in Toyland video has better sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi9yZJE5Cpg

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay thanks
I've just set it up in it's own little playlist for easy ipod listening :)

6:19 PM  
Blogger LoRezSky said...

amazing really, when you listen all of this, you realize what poorly developed genre fempunk really is. there is no missy elliot or m.i.a. or peaches in this bunch (i.e. originality to hold its own). mmh, room for opportunity, i should think.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trés late for this, but...

First: I'd totally put a photo of Thurston Moore on my bathroom wall.

Second: great mix. I tend to get extremely annoyed when all-female or female-fronted bands are ridiculously described as "women in rock" or talked about in a stupid, offending they-may-be-women-but-play-like-men tone. Or when bands are casually (and often incorrectly) labelled "riot grrrl".

Most of this year's (all-male) buzz bands are, to me, so boring and over-produced and twee... everyone seems to love them, though. I just wonder if people would like these bands as much if they were all-female, or if they'd be too uncreative/twee in that case.

Anyway. Excellent mix, like I already said. Music blogs are usually pretty male-dominated so it's nice to see a feminine point of view once in a while.

-- another cute redhead

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home