12.08.2006

Top Ten Songs of 2006

Again, totally subjective, bound to annoy, please, and provoke, here's my top 10 songs for 2006, chosen from a shortlist of about 2000 songs. Why did I choose to do 10? Because I like to hate myself after for not including a great song I should have.

Songs are in order of excellence, from top to bottom of the best.

1. Mission of Burma: 2wice

Okay, let’s get one thing straight. The Obliterati was great because of this song. Crashing in at several million de – cymbals, Conley matches Prescott's frenetic beats and Millers kickass guitar licks with cocksure delivery. And with a refrain like “You’ve got me dead to rights/I’m a liar”, who wants to argue about it?

2. Sunset Rubdown: They Took A Vote And Said No

This is why I turned to indie rock. Because a band would dare tap out the motion of their lyrics on a xylophone.

3. Regina Spektor: Fidelity

I was in an American Eagle store and this song came on. Everybody joined in – young punks, mothers waiting for young punks, smarty pantses, angry girlfriends/boyfriends waiting for smarty pantses, passers-by, everyone. We all agreed on one thing...there is a lot of ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-heart in this song.

4. Peter, Bjorn & John: Roll the Credits

This excellent Swedish trio concoct a song that’s larger than life here, complete with drone-like orchestral beats and repetitive hooks, but never boring.

5. Dirty Pretty Things: Doctors & Dealers

I maintain that Dirty Pretty Things are the natural successor to The Libertines, not Babyshambles. This song is the Libertinian aesthetic in reload, and Carl Barat shoves aside any doubts that he was, and still is, a musical force to reckon with.

6. Band of Horses: Weed Party

The crowning glory of an album that is the most consistently solid, track for track, released this year. I am still knocking myself on the head for not including this in my Top 10 albums of the year. Someone should send a copy to Coldplay. When Bridwell tell us that “parents are enforcing the law”, you picture a shambolic Jehovah’s Witness arguing for family values. Quaint.

7. Neko Case: Hold On, Hold On

“That echo chorus lied to me with its/Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on”

Sing that back to yourself (in any voice, since you can’t match Neko’s) and maybe you’ll understand why this song is on this list.

8. Morrissey: The Youngest Was The Most Loved

If music were software, this would be The Mozza’s update to “First of the Gang to Die”. It’s pure Moz, I am partial to it, no more no less.

9. Beth Orton: Conceived

One of the most melodious songs you’d hear this year. Beth sings with earnest yearning, and the music hearkens to her beautiful voice, content to just go along for the ride.

10. Uncut: Dark Horse

Wild guess: 99.9% of those who visit this blog probably haven’t heard of this Toronto band. Maybe you should, maybe not – but if you are looking for an excellent guitar rock song to love, here’s your pick.

Honorable mentions:

Bonnie “Prince” Billy “Wai”
Tom Waits “Bottom of the World”
The Thermals “Test Pattern”
Phoenix “Consolation Prizes”
Arctic Monkeys “Mardy Bum”
Joanna Newsom “Monkey & Bear”
Emily Haines “The Lottery”
M.Ward “Eyes on the Prize”
Belle & Sebastian “Dress Up In You”

7 Comments:

Blogger NF said...

Hell yeahs for Band of Horses and Neko Case. That Neko Case track is gorgeous.

Don't kick yourself too hard on the Top Ten Albums. That's a great list, too.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

absolutely agree with sunset rubdown, band of horses, neko case and thermals. i do find regina spektor terribly annoying

7:53 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

i never gonna surprise when Mission Of Burma is the number one. "The Obliterati" , It's one of my fav. rock album of the year

2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The download for Doctors and Dealers isn't working. So my file that says, KKN's Top Ten is only nine. Years later, this will confuse the hell out of me, and (more importantly) it will confuse the hell out of scholars pouring over my files and papers after I am dead. So you have a duty to history and scolarship to fix this!

Just joking. Thanks for these posts.

Brad

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. It will confuse those scholars more that the file says KKN, not KNK, so I'll fix my error so that you can be famous by having a link to me.

Brad

8:46 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Interesting selection off the Ringleader... Good selection, but I would have gone with Ganglord, which I can't stop listening to these days. Have you heard it? Otherwise I agree wit hyour list and love Regina Spektor. I've been posting some music here if you want to check it out: http://artdecade.blogspot.com/

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Jenny lewis and the Watson Twins cd? My fav/rav of the year!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home