12.28.2006

Wilco: Summerteeth Demos

Been having the most satisfying holiday so far...ordered myself a TiVo to compensate for all the hardwork this year, got the Sennheiser PXC 250 noise canceling headphones to save myself from hearing loss, and finally found time to revisit some of my classic rock albums, including Pink Floyd's Animals, The Velvet Underground's The Velvet Underground, Wire's Pink Flag, and Grateful Dead's American Beauty. As I worked my way up to the present, encountering Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, R.E.M's Murmur, Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted, and Buzzcock's Operator's Manual amongst others on the way, I stumbled on this favored Wilco boot, which surprisingly, I had not posted before, so here it goes. These are semi-finished demos, close to the finished product with subtle differences here and there e.g. no backing vocals and harmonica solos present on the demo version of "She's a Jar" (making the demo a more harrowing listen). Also, the unique orchestral feel of the finished product is not yet fully realized on the demos (compare the two versions of "A Shot in the Arm"). Sounds great, and definitely worth the listen.

Next project: Seriously, I have to get myself a vintage turntable. It's the only way to take a rock history lesson.
Shot in the Arm
We're Just Friends
I'm Always in Love
Candyfloss
How to Fight Loneliness
Tried & True
She's a Jar
Pieholden Suite
Nothingsevergonnastandinmywayagain
Via Chicago
ELT
In a Future Age
My Darling

Get Wilco's Summerteeth here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got the turntable set up last night. It's the year of classics for me. And speaking of which, thanks for the Wilco selection.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Few things in life make me happier than listening to Animals on vinyl.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for posting this Wilco recording. Looking forward to hearing it. Cheers.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home