4.07.2007

How The Constantines Rocked My Socks Off: April 6, Starlite Room, Edmonton.

A few days ago I posted a Constantines song on this blog and a commenter left a comment asking what I saw in the Constantines. I did not bother to respond, for how can you come up against a challenge like that without sounding too knowledgeable? (Which I am, btw). But if it must be said, my love and admiration for the Constantines and their music is not acquired taste, it's not a reincarnation of old flames for a band long gone, it's not even because it's the Canadian thing to do; rather, it is the hardworking and bloody rocking rock n' roll aesthetic of this band that compels the adoration (after all, did they not declare on "Arizona" - "As long as we are lonely, we will dance / As long as we are dying, we want the death of rock 'n' roll!"). I have no doubt in my mind that they are arguably the most interesting Canadian indie rock band today, and yesterday night at the Starlite Room, I confirmed they were definitely the BEST FREAKING CANADIAN LIVE BAND EVER! For how else could a band whose last release was in 2005 evoke so much emotion with a back catalogue and a handful of new songs to make me sixteen again? Who has ever played so hard without sounding like an amateur jam band? (In my recent experience with live shows, only Wilco has topped this perfection). Which compels me to ask - why are these guys still playing small venues? The answer to that is too bitter to accept, but some of us who have sworn ourselves to indie elitism have nothing to apologize for - we have better ears, goddamnit.

In all, I had a wonderful night. And you could tell the audience got every bit of their nineteen dollars and more. Of course, these were no wayward sojourners; most had already seen these guys before, twice or thrice (as confirmed from the conversation around me while waiting in the bloody Edmonton Fall cold for the doors to open). It did not matter that we had to endure two opening bands: the amazing Ladyhawk, and Jon Rae & The River, which had a Nico-like lady on accompanying vocals (but did not sound anything like Nico or the VU for that matter, and some of which was really painful, really). But the Constantines made it alright. Nightime, anytime, it was alright.

Highlight: Shine a Light
Regrets: Going to the show without a camera or recorder. Hopefully, someone did.

Enjoy some Constantines tunes from their Sub Pop site.

Nightime Anytime Its Alright
On to You
Love in Fear
Soon Enough
Arizona

And some videos:
Young Offenders, Live
Working Full-time

Buy Constantines music.
I buy my music at Blackbryd Myoozik and Insound.

6 Comments:

Blogger ...Banter said...

agree wholeheartedly. been trying to track down their horsey craze split LP. no dice.

very awesome band.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. The Constantines rock. One of the best shows I saw last year and their cd is always playing in the ipod. I ask you, is there a better cd to work out to?

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

caught their show in Moncton a few weeks back, they played a fantastic set!
I must say I enjoyed the Jon Rae & the River set... very energetic, even if the female vocalist was a bit pitchy at times. I knew nothing of them going in to the show and left with their record. Different strokes I guess.

And to reply to Banter's post above, I picked up my copy of the Con's split EP with the Unintended last year from Sonic Unyon. Not sure if they have any left though, it was a limited pressing of only 1000 copies. Good luck in your quest!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

So Jealous, Ladyhawk and The Constantines. I really need to see both of those bands. As a consolation I see Wilco a week from today.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for recording see:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/theconstantines

This was, I'm pretty sure, my 10th Cons show. This one was pretty good, although not especially awesome relative to the other ones. And I don't mean that as a slight to the band by any means, but rather to say these guys bring it every time. (for example, the review in either See or Vue was calling it maybe the show of the year). Getting to hear those new tunes was the highlight for me.

I dunno...wilco was pretty good when they were here the last couple times, but I'd probably go for my eleventh cons show than 3rd wilco one if I had to choose.

and "Shots" from that split LP is the best recording the band has ever produced imo.

12:29 AM  
Blogger JETHRO said...

saw them open for the tragically hip in NH last week. actually they opened in boston the night before, but i paid zero attention to them. then saw the next night, caught the whole set. WOW. blown away. intense driving music. reminded me of golden earing kinda, had that mellow yet weathered sound. loved the songs, and usually i cant get into a band if im totally unfamiliar with them. not the case. very digestible, headphone are edible... etc etc..

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home